3/30/20

Grandma Southward's Granola

Grandma Southward has been making granola for many years.  She and Grandpa were 'tree hugger's' , 'back to nature', early recyclers for many years before it was cool to do all of the things they were used to doing in their normal lives.  They always had a garden, composted, reused many things, cooked from scratch, and canned their food.
Here is one of their recipes that I make almost every 2 weeks.  We use it as breakfast, dessert or a topping for ice cream.

Gma's Granola
3 cups old fashioned oatmeal (ok to use quick oats if that's what you have)
1 cup coconut
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup brown sugar (I use a little less)
1 cup nuts (I use sunflower seeds if I have them)
3/4 cup oil (usually canola but I've used coconut oil too)
3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp vanilla

I also add ground flax seed, wheat bran, hemp seeds.....whatever you want

Mix together and put on a large baking sheet with sides.  Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes depending on if you want it chewier or crunchy.  Stir occasionally.......I stir mine at 20 minutes and again at 25 minutes, remove it from the oven and add raisins or other dried fruit.

Keep in frigerator........Yummy!
I'll add a pic when I make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment