11/22/09

Corn Drying Day!



Today was corn drying day with my antique corn dryer. I used my mother's and my grandmother's recipe and it does take all day. One gallon of corn is mixed with 1 cup sugar, 1 cup light cream, 1/4 cup salt and placed on the dryer which sits on the stove top. There is a reservoir which hold water and the corn dehydrates. We always have it on Thanksgiving and call it 'Indian Corn'. It can also be used for hiking or backpacking food. It keeps indefinitely in a jar in the pantry. We love it but there are many who don't. I think I'll fix another kind of corn too for those people. It's not much work at all and I feel like I am preserving history by doing it. I'm still doing prep work for Thanksgiving and need to make all of my pie crusts yet! I love this time of year...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment