3/12/11

Mother Mother makes Deodorant

At the beach my nickname was always Mother Mother Ocean after a Buffet song and because I like the environment, want to recycle, and am frugal (cheap). About a year ago I found some recipes for making cosmetics, cleaners, detergent, etc. I started out with the deodorant recipe (mainly because I wanted to stop smearing aluminum under my arms). Some people thing there could be a connection with aluminum and breast cancer. I've really liked the creamy, scented deodorant I made and it really does work. Plus I've saved a couple of bucks.
It took at least a year to use up the first batch and today I'm going to make some more.
3 Tbsp. shea butter
3 Tbsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. cocoa butter
2 Vitamin E gel caps (puncture and squeeze out the oil)
Essential oil (ylang ylang, orange, lavender, whatever you like or unscented)
Melt down the ingredients (except the oil) and mix together (30 sec in the microwave). I don't remember doing the melting step and just mixed it together and it worked fine. Put in a small screw top jar. Makes about 1/4 pint.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm...where do you find the time? Great idea though. I buy Tom's and it isn't that great. Might just give this a try!

    ReplyDelete