4/25/13

The Little Country Church




A couple of months ago my childhood church closed.  It used to be the Smithville EUB and then Smithville United Methodist.  The congregation has been dwindling for years and they had trouble at times finding a minister.  The 'conference' decided to close the church.  My mom still attended and about 20 other people.  I'm not sure what will happen to it.  Vandals have already taken the doors off the private mausoleum (where a distant cousin - John Stewart was buried.  They took the doors for the copper.). The contents were auctioned off to members.  Mom got a caned chair (all the chairs were caned by my grandmother Iva Mae Warfel), some hymnals,  and two child's chairs.    I remember sitting in them for Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.  Hopefully someone will buy the church but I'm not sure if that will happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment