1/1/11

Happy New Year! Have you had your Kapusta yet??

Happy New Year!! We start the new year each year with kapusta.....it's pork and kraut with mashed potatoes. Arn likes bread and butter with his too. This is the way Gram Casciato always made it and I put it in at midnight the night before. Waking up in the morning to the smell of it is an experience in and of itself. The flavors are great together but it's something you only want once a year. It's supposed to bring good luck for the new year.
Another tradition is to always make a bag (pillowcase, whatever) to hold all of your riches for the new year but I haven't followed thru with this one.
Some parts of the country eat black eyed peas. I looked up the recipe for kapusta and it's not how we do it but...whatever.
New Year resolutions.
1. Get some type of exercise daily.
2. Of course lose weight....I got a new scale for Christmas that measures body fat and body water content!
3. Be more organized.
4. Purge and take a bunch of stuff to Goodwill.
5. Travel more even if it's short weekend trips.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know our pork and 'kraut had a special name! What is the recipe? I'd like to know the origin and history of pork and kraut on NYD. I made a pretty good pork tenderloin last night. Andy tried it first and said it was good. It is "Pork Diablo" and the recipe can be found on FoodWishes.blogspot.com, one of our favorite sites for recipes. I also tried a really good Spinach Artichoke dip from that site that was a hit at my party.

    ReplyDelete