8/12/13

Random thoughts on my hometown..............

I had a good time recently in and around Upper Sandusky and Sycamore Ohio while spending time with my mom.  Everything is so green there and wide open.  Upper Sandusky seems to be on the upswing.  I noticed signs for the Fireman's Fest, a Shawshank Redemption Fest (it was filmed there in the courthouse, a lumber company, and the Mansfield Reformatory and my mom's favorite movie), and various 'runs'.  I even heard one of the towns got a 'brewery'.
Random findings..............
Two 'dairy snack shacks' can be within one block of each other and do well - I ordered a small cone and it was huge for 2 bucks.
Eating at the hospital wasn't all bad.  The food was pretty good and scrambled eggs with cheese and 2 slices of bacon was $1.65
I ordered one take out meal of 'all you can eat broasted chix and fish with potato wedges, cole slaw, 2 orders of bread pudding from the Corner Inn and it was $15.99 and we had enough food for a family for several days.
Upper finally got a real coffee shop which was doing very well and was quite good.
Mowing is a hobby in the midwest.

You can't beat a homegrown tomato.
You can still burn your trash on 'the back hill' but will get swarmed by mosquitos.
Lightning bugs are very cool - my neighbor in Co. says we have them too but I've never seen them.
One of the docs at the hospital is a wonderful watercolor artist - I need to find out if he sells his work.
Prices are cheaper..........slab bacon was $3.69 a pound (we pay $4.99) and it's better quality so I brought back 15 lb. (freeze, wrap in newspaper, nonstop flight)
The little market in Sycamore sells great breaded pork cutlets (brought back 3 pks)
Pickled eggs can be purchased in the deli grocery store - most people don't even know what they are.
Weeds abound..........I must have had 6 wheelbarrow loads from my mom's flowerbeds.
Everybody refers to where they live by the county road number.
The recycling center is run by the county and is very awesome compared to Co.  But across the road is a mountain (made of trash) that I feel is contaminating the ground water.  Unmarked trucks (from other states?) seem to show up occasionally.
I wanted to try the local theatre production of South Pacific but never made it. 

And one of the weirdest things..................one of the local doctors (obgyn) drives around on his lunch break and after work shooting groundhogs.  He stopped by mom's house one day and asked permission (he got into trouble one time for not asking). Everybody agrees it is a service and they let him do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment