8/18/13

The Old Mission Church






One day while I was in Ohio I stopped by for a look around the old Mission Church.  It's a beautiful little stone church which they open in the summers with guest ministers each Sunday.  I've never attended but it is on my bucket list.  I looked over the list posted in the window and there was even an American Indian speaker on a Sunday which was already past - how cool!  I've always known that there are American Indians buried in the cemetery but I couldn't find any of the gravestones. There were many that couldn't even be read do to the age and damage from the weather and elements.  I also looked for my grandparents stone which I couldn't find either but it was a nice walk thru a bit of history.  My mom is occasionally attending John Stewart Methodist Church in town since our little country church closed it's doors this past March.  We also recently found out that there have been breakins at the church.  The robbers even took the doors off of the mausoleum for the metal.  A distant cousin's remains are in the mausoleum (Harrison Smith) who also is the namesake of the community park.

No comments:

Post a Comment